Saturday, July 18, 2009

Bits of My Internship in KK



What I'm listening to on a loop today:
Blink 182 - Always
Lily Allen - 22
2NE1 - I Don't Care
Fujii Takashi - Oh My Juliet
Kelly Clarkson - Already Gone

(Yes, I do realize I'm still not over that crazy Japanese number.)

Anyway, I realized that I didn't blog much about my internship at Babagon, Penampang and Tanjung Badak, Tuaran. Well, my internship ended about a month ago but I'll always have fond memories of it because it was truly enjoyable learning experience. (It kinda makes me want to hop on the career bandwagon, but you and I both know that there's plenty of time to slave away in the future.) Anyway, if there are any Sabahans (doing Aquatic Sciences or even Biotechnology) planning to do their internship at home, then I strongly recommend the Likas Fisheries Research Center in Kota Kinabalu! The people there are quite nice and helpful, you get to experience working in different labs such as the:-

1. Biotechnology Lab
2. Red Tide Lab
3. LCMSMS lab
4. PCR Lab
5. Food Processing Lab

Anyway, it was all super awesome. The whole research center actually does quality control on the fish produce in Sabah for imports. Then for two weeks we were sent off to a freshwater facility in Babagon and a marine facility in Tanjung Badak, Tuaran. Both facilities give out fish fry subsidies to the farmers in Sabah. In Babagon we stayed here...



Perks: You get to swim everyday in the river! And it's naturally cold at night!
The workplace is a freshwater aquaculture place and it's quite simple really and there's lots of pretty fishes (aquarium varieties) there as well and even a fish spa pond!




Local celebrity (Babagon)*RAWR!*


Not to mention, the 17 year old Arapaima gigas which is as long as a person! Here's a video of Billy feeding it:



Then we were off to Tanjung Badak for two weeks... We discovered that it was right next to Rasa Ria Resort! (Hehe, but we didn't have a lot of time to fool around there after working hours...) Working there was interesting too because it was on a much larger scale than the Babagon facility. And saltwater fish tend to be LARGE and colorful. I really liked the Napoleon fish, those were really pretty and friendly (they like to be stroked!) Though I admit that for amateur aquarists, this fish would be tricky to keep at home, being a saltwater fish and all.



Here's a group picture of us near the floating pens by the sea. There are about 9 of us interns (me, Shafwan, Mariam, Billie, Audrey, Herman, Liyana, Affendy and Aaron) plus one guy doing his latihan sangkut.



One of the best things about this place is that there's a lot of sports happening here in the afternoons (after work of course) like badminton, ping pong, football and volleyball (which we played the most! BTW I totally suck at sports).


Local Celebrity (Tanjung Badak)*popstar*


That's all I guess, since I wrote waaay too much this time me thinks. I haven't even gotten started on my internship report yet, then after that, I have to handle my final year proposal, progress presentation, sampling, club activities etc. *stressed*

It's tough being a final year student.

Toodles! &hearts

No comments: