Sunday, August 09, 2009

When I Grow Up...


When we're young, people start drilling you with this question every year:
"Young lady/man, what do you want to be when you grow up?"

I used to answer:
A) Scientist
B) Doctor (Gah, blood!)
C) Lawyer (I'm too meek for this.)

This question puzzled me no end because I had not even contemplated then that I would actually have to work for a living. I'm still the same even now, where I have no clear idea where I'm going. Regrets? I have them. But I thank the heavens everyday for all the small blessings I have received when there are people who have so little.

I do realize that I am well on my way to achieving my first choice - A) Scientist which is really funny since I remember that being my first choice since primary school (mentang-mentang I got 97% once in a Science exam paper when I was 10!) Anyway it's really funny how these things turn out, now I just hope to be the best fish scientist EVAH. :-P

Most people would be surprised to know that I did play around with the idea of joining the sisterhood once, but then I am unable to sever my extreme attachment to material things. That phase in my life is now OVER. I can't picture myself as a nun (at least not in this life, as noble as it is).

Anyway, my point is that some kids dream, some kids wander around trying to find their calling, some kids become achievers, some kids need a sign, it all depends on YOU. Making plans isn't my thing, I just go where the wind blows me as long as I stick to the principles my mama taught me. My motto has always been to not take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive. (Not in a literal sense! No one likes a slacker...)

Enough with this philosophical crap. Next post is gonna be normal. :-)

&hearts Vanessa

No comments: