Saturday, January 23, 2010

Rent (2005) - A Fan Video


I was bored. Like really really bored. And I've never tried uploading videos on Blogger because I figured I'd never have to. But since Warner blocked my little fanvideo, I'm uploading it here instead. (You drove me to this, Youtube. I shake my fist at you!) Ever since Google bought over Youtube, the copyright laws have been stricter. (So cruel! I never had any problems with my kdrama fanvids...<--lameduck)

video

Music Information
Artist: Adam Pascal (of the fictional rock band, No Vacancy)
Song: Heal Me, I'm Heartsick (School of Rock OST)

Various online sources (okay, okay, Wikipedia) tells me that Rent is a 2005 American film adaptation of the hugely popular Broadway musical, which was based on Jonathan Larson’s Pulitzer and Tony Award-winning musical. The movie itself depicts the lives of several Bohemians (Bohemia is a laid-back and free philosophy) and their struggles with homosexuality (lesbians AND gays, I almost died), cross-dressing, drugs, life under the shadow of AIDS, and paying their rent. It takes place in the East Village of New York City in the late 1980s. The film, directed by Chris Columbus, has six of the original 1996 Broadway cast members reprising their roles.

Would you light my candle?

It has a really great soundtrack, or should I say performance pieces. Adam Pascal as a HIV positive rocker has-been had a great voice with equally great Bon Jovi hair. He has a thing with Mimi (Rosario Dawson), a HIV positive exotic dancer (seriously, almost everybody here had AIDS in some form). Despite its numerous taboo themes, it's quite clean, save for a blink-and-you'll-miss-it mooning incident. I liked the soundtrack a lot and this musical has been touted as the musical that revived youths' interest in musicals. It's a sweet story, one I would recommend everyone to watch at least once in their lives. (It's compulsory! But it has an NC-17 rating in the US.) I also advise you to not watch it with parents unless you're completely comfortable with that. :-D

Fave songs (according to how much I like them):
1) Will I?
2) Life Support
3) One Song Glory
4) Seasons of Love
5) Light My Candle
6) A tie between I Should Tell You, Goodbye Love & Another Day
7) Your Eyes
8) Without You & Out Tonight

P/S: I taught little 8-year-olds how to read Peter & Jane books today... Lol! =) It's part of Golden Key Society's English Reading Program. My dad thinks I'm too free. I admit that I am a bit too free these days (I suspect that's the reason I've been blogging so often lately..) XD

Thanks for the movie, Eva!!!
___________________________

There is no future
There is no past
I live this moment as my last

There's only us
There's only this
Forget regret or life is yours to miss

No other road
No other way
No day but today...


-Another Day lyrics-


Photo credit: Sony Entertainment

No comments: