Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Are you a Himono-onna?

Anyone who's ever watched the jdorama, Hotaru No Hikari (Lights of Fireflies) would probably know that this term means Dried-fish Woman. In the drama, himono-onna (干物女) means a woman who has stopped loving anyone in her twenties, thus she is a 'dried woman'. She rolls around the house in tracksuits and grubby tied-up hair and guzzles beer after a long day at work.

Is that a person under there? @_@

THE PLOT: In Hotaru No Hikari, Dramawiki tells me that the main character, Hotaru (Ayase Haruka) works for a famous interior design company. It's a glamorous job but Hotaru's private life is totally the opposite of glamorous. She lives alone, and when she isn't working she's mostly lazing about her rented house in track bottoms. She's not interested in men. In fact, she isn't interested in anything. "I'd rather lay around than fool around!," is her motto.

Observe! TOP: At work; BOTTOM: At home.

Her landlord is a bar owner, and one day his son, who has just separated from his wife, comes to inspect the rental property, not knowing that someone is living there. He is shocked at the mess, but not as shocked as Hotaru. He turns out to be her boss, Takano 'Buchou' (Fujiki Naohito!).

Hotaru and Takano sitting out on the patio...

Fujiki Naohito's famous for being a singer in Japan, he's also acted in GTO (loved that drama!) and the really sad and long-winded Itoshi Kimi e (To The One I Love). I don't know much about Ayase Haruka 'cept that she's really pretty and this was the only role I ever liked her in.

Kato Kazuki a.k.a Pinocchio as second fiddle!

This drama is breezy, not heavy at all in the plotline (in fact, barely any story at all), and I was so frustrated at the really silly open ending that I proceeded to delete the entire series, only to kick myself afterwards for giving in to the impulse. Because it really was a sweet, if pointless, jdorama. And I wouldn't mind watching it again. That said, it's also a very picturesque drama to look at, kudos to the production team! Scriptwriter should go take some more classes.

Here's a few clips from the jdorama:


After-effects: After I watched this drama, I started referring to myself or any messy-looking young lady as a himono-onna. So now you know. XD

I should totally pick up jdoramas again!
After my thesis is done. :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You now there is a second season out now ? It may be no that great as the first season, but what I've seen from the first five episodes, it's okay and enjoyable.
Besides, after watching season one, I was desparately looking for a himono onna;-) like hotaru, who comes home, changes into jerseys, opens her beer and says "aaaah - home is the best". That was so nicely executed, even for me as a beer hater I would like to witness it in my own home !