Saturday, May 22, 2010

Review: Prosecutor Princess (K-drama)


Drama: Prosecutor Princess/검사 프린세스 [SBS]
Episodes: 16
Cast: Kim So Yeon, Park Shi Hoo, Han Jung Soo, Choi Song Hyun
Year: 2010

I really underestimated this drama before it even aired, because the lead actor was not familiar to me and I didn't particularly like Kim So Yeon OR the drama's premise which revolved around lawyers and prosecutors (most legal-related dramas are bleargh to me). But I gave it a shot because Personal Taste just wasn't cutting it for me. And I never looked back since!!


THE PLOT: Dramawiki tells me that Ma Hye Ri (Kim So Yeon) passed the bar exam with ease due to her high IQ but rather than honing her talents, she is more interested in the latest designer threads. Hard work just doesn't suit her so she is far from being an ideal prosecutor. Through her conflicts with senior colleagues and struggles with difficult cases, as well as a few nudges in the right direction from a certain mysterious lawyer, Seo In Woo (Park Shi Hoo)-with a penchant for making stalking look perfectly acceptable, Hye Ri gradually matures into a brilliant prosecutor with a sense of duty and justice. When evidence of an old murder case points fingers at her father and In Woo is revealed to be the instigator of this revelation, Hye Ri must deal with its implications.


First of all, I'd like to comment on the overall production. The scenes were all so pretty and the lighting with very natural-looking hues and soft colors which made everything so pleasant to look at. I also like the way they incorporated nature in what would have been a very walls-and-desks sort of drama by filming parks, cherry blossoms etc. Enough on the shrubbery, the Shining Inheritance PD-writer team deserve some major thumbs-up for this, I loved it every bit as much as Shining Inheritance, probably even more.


Kim So Yeon is (literally!) sparkling here as Prosecutor Ma Hye Ri, I may not love all her outfits but her earrings are to die for! Her hair at the beginning put me off but I quite liked the tied-back style of the later episodes. This drama shines whenever Kim So Yeon and Park Shi Hoo are in a scene together!! Completely squeal-worthy every week with a lot of memorable moments despite middling ratings in South Korea. It's tough competing with star powerhouses like Moon Geun Young (Cinderella's Stepsister) and Lee Min Ho (Personal Taste). I watched all three but Prosecutor Princess was the one I looked forward to eagerly every week!! Eventually I dropped the other two...


I'm trying really hard to stifle my fan-girlyness over Park Shi Hoo (The smile! The voice! Ack!) or I might just self-combust. Suffice it to say that he is one of the most promising of Korean Wave's new generation. Peppered throughout the drama were elements that might be familiar to Shining Inheritance fans, such as the lost brother's poster at the police station, appearances by SI supporting actors (the manager dude! Butler Pyo! The best friend...) and *spoiler* the song 'Will You Marry Me' by Lee Seung Gi at the end of the series at a very cute scene between second-fiddle-no-more Yoon Se Jung (Han Jung Soo) and shy Jung Sun (Choi Song Hyun).*end of spoiler*

The prosecutor team!


Yoo Gun was criminally underused in this drama...

I vaguely wish there was an SBSWorld channel since most of my fave dramas recently seem to be SBS dramas such as You're Beautiful, Shining Inheritance and Smile, You. They seem to broadcast the particular brand of k-dramas I'm so fond of. Credit to aberdeen_angus and kaedejun over at Dramabeans, whose recaps were the reason I started watching in the first place. Best songs from the soundtrack are Monday Kiz's Goodbye My Princess, AB Avenue's Lost and instrumental track Love Is You. I'm just going to ignore the fact that Fly High by SHINEE is the theme song.

Goodbye Prosecutor Princess! The last few weeks have been amazing! *waves*

Pic credit: All over the Internet

Rating:
5/5 stars!! (I should stop rating dramas, because I usually only bother to do reviews of dramas I adore...)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I JUST LOVE THIS DRAMA
KIM SO YEON'S CHARACTER IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM HER OTHER DRAMAS BEFORE
SO IN WOO AND MA HYE RI ARE SO CUTE TOgETHER, AND ROMANTIC TOO
THEY ARE BOTH ADORABLE
I'M gOINg TO WATCH THIS AgAIN
THIS DRAMA JUST SUIT MY TASTE
I WATCHED CINDERELLA'S SISTER BEFORE BUT I STOPPED BECAUSE OF THIS DRAMA
LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE IT SO DAMN MUCH

varms said...

You and me both, Anonymous. :-)

bakanapi said...

WOW!!! I absolutely agree with everything you said! Loved your PP review <3 I'm so in love with this drama that since I've finished it(2 days ago) I can't bring myself to start a new one and I've been reading and wacthing everything related to the show (I'm even thinking of rewatching it XD). I don't understand why this drama didn't achieved higher rats... But it's definetly on my top list!!!!

Btw, I love your blog ^^

Anonymous said...

hey..i'm malaysian too..from kuantan
i totally in love with this drama..i'm so glad that i choose to watch this drama rather than CS and PT...it's so lot better than CS and PT..I'm totally gonna watch this drama again and again..luv it

Anonymous said...

I'm basically only watching this because SHINee has an OST but I may start to love it like I did with Boys Over Flowers :D

michfel said...

I love this drama too ...
I think it's the best drama ever ..
makes me addicted
<3 PSH too :D

bravo for pp team , producer , director , writer , fashion designer , ...

pp & team deserves for (many) awards i think ^^ ..

cj017 said...

Hi All,

I just want to inform you guys about this site that I found...

http://mahyeri.livejournal.com/

It's Prosecutor Ma Hye Ri's life after the drama! Let's all support the writer