Wednesday, June 30, 2010

ShakespeaRe-Told (2005)

The British definitely have this wonderful way with words. Their warped opinions and ridiculous comments are told with an absolutely straight face, like they're talking about something completely serious but it's all hogwash. I guess that's why it's called British humor. I never truly realized how amusing it can be until I watched The Importance Of Being Earnest which is truly rib-cracking (stars Colin Firth and Rupert Everett)!


Anyway about BBC's ShakespeaRe-Told, I think it's really good! Basically, it's the modern re-telling of four plays allocated to the present day, which are Much Ado About Nothing, The Taming of the Shrew, A Midsummer's Night Dream and Macbeth. I can see the difficulty in adapting these stories to present life but they did it so artfully and slipped in lines from the play here and there. However, sometimes the original ending is tweaked a bit to fit our modern way of thinking.


The Taming of the Shrew was hilarious! Moaning Myrtle from Harry Potter is completely FEARSOME here as the Shrew, you only have to watch the first five minutes to see how horrifying she is for such a small person! Rufus Sewell did a commendable job here as Petruchio (No other man has ever looked so charming in drag and eyeliner) who eventually 'tames' his scary wife.

Haven't seen Billie Piper since she was a popstar...

Much Ado about Nothing was better than I originally thought. At first I was so turned off by the male lead (a pasty potbellied Englishman with ginger hair!) but he sort of won me over by the end. Billie Piper was truly moving here, maybe in Shakepeare's time, sure, public humiliation befits the loose medieval woman, but in modern times, women won't stand for that kind of crap anymore. I don't wanna give away too much but suffice it to say that I'd still recommend this to anybody! ^^


Midsummer's Night Dream seems alright so far, but I'm only halfway through. Macbeth, true to its reputation, is a lot darker with James McAvoy starring as Macbeth. Keeley Hawes (Wives and Daughters) is in this too as his ambitious wife and so is a side-burnless Richard Armitage &hearts as the guy who brings down Macbeth! Mr Thornton shall always have a soft place in my heart... :-P

Picture credits: BBC

No comments: