Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Time Traveller: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

I've been waiting for the live-action version of Toki wo Kakeru Shojo (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time) to be released ever since I learnt Naka Riisa (Yankee-kun to Megane-chan) was starring in it. Based on a 1967 novel about a schoolgirl, Kazuko, who suddenly finds out she can time travel to the past and discovers a secret about someone she thought she knew. This novel has been adapted to films and TV dramas many times.

2010 live-action film trailer:



The 1983 film is supposed to be a classic but I can't find it anywhere so far. A pity though. The 1994 TV drama version stars a very young Uchida Yuki and looks rather cheesy for my liking (idol stars, hmph) and the most well-known version is the 2006 animated adaptation, which is a pseudo-sequel to the original, where the protagonist is Kazuko's niece.


The 2010 live action version (poster above) is supposed to be a direct sequel (about Kazuko's daughter) which is why I'm waiting for it eagerly. Naka Riisa also voiced Makoto, the protagonist in the animation. Japanese people looove overwrought melodrama but I really hope this one will end with at least a glimmer of hope (Japanese cinema and their open endings!), unlike say, terminal disease movies like Boku no Hatsukoi wo Kimi ni Sasagu (Ugh! So cute but ended annoyingly because they didn't stay true to the manga for dramatic purposes) and 1 Litre no Namida ('nuff said).

The only thing I have a problem with is Akiyoshi Nakao. I hope he's a really good actor because he better have something to make up for that 70's hair. I have previously watched him in Dragon Zakura but he wasn't very memorable. Sincere, yes, but I guess I was too distracted by Koike Teppei with pink highlights! ^^

2006 animation of Girl Who Leapt Through Time

It's been out since March but I have yet to find a raw or subbed version anywhere. I've watched the animation (it's as good as they say!) and this awful TV movie remake starring Morning Musume members (only worth watching for Asahi Uchida).

Hopefully this new version won't disappoint! ^^

6 comments:

daphne said...

the movie looks so much diff then the anime. i love the anime lots!~

varms said...

You've watched it too? I've only recently watched it and I love it lots! The movie has a different storyline... It would be boring I guess if they used the same plot...

Giljed Jowes said...

I've watched the anime too. I thought it is a horror anime, some thing like a Twilight Zone episode. But it turned out to be a romantic comedy :)

varms said...

That's my kind of movie... ;-)

Alec Guintu said...

Oh there's a live-action of this? Wow! Is it good?

varms said...

I don't know yet... I've been looking for it everywhere! But it was released in Japan months ago...