Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Dawn of the Beta Males

I have heard several complaints from my friends about where have all the manly men gone? Well, let me tell you now that in the age of modern technology, sometimes that hunk of muscle might not have the brain to match all that brawn.

Plus, I guess we're all sick of seeing the same type of guy over and over again that these wimpy heroes who are probably best suited as side-kick material in the days of Conan, are grabbing the spotlight and charming their way in dorky fashion to the hearts of females and gay men everywhere.

I have accumulated a few examples below:

Exhibit A



Jay Baruchel has been getting the girl in Sorcerer's Apprentice, Fanboys and She's Out of My League. Anyone jealous yet? He was a physics genius/sorcerer in SA which just proves the nerds are here to rule. It's like the Revenge of the Nerds movies all over again and hotter than ever.

Exhibit B


Here we have the affable Zachary Levi as the hapless secret agent with top secret CIA files installed in his brain a.k.a. Chuck Bartowski. Oh and he also works at the local Buymore, a tech store overrun with the most oddball batch of employees I have ever had the misfortune to see. XD

Exhibit C


Who may I ask is the biggest lady-killer in town? It can only be Bieber. And what weapons does he have? A cute smile, slick 'moves' and a voice some may call feminine.

I'm sure there's more examples out there (like Michael Cera who I'm not particularly fond of) but these are the three that immediately came to mind. This phenomenon has even wormed itself into the Korean drama world where we have wimpy heroes like Jung Kyung Ho, the residential sweetheart in Smile, You (2009) and Lee Seung Gi in My Girlfriend is a Gumiho (2010).

It's definitely a good time to be a geek/dork. Of course you wouldn't want to overdo it. You sorta have to strike a balance between being a cute geek and a geek geek. If that makes any sense. XD

That's all I have for today folks! I'm trying to keep this blog alive but it's not often these days that I'm in the mood to post my thoughts. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

C'mon, that's a trend since James Dean was so hurtable and whiny. Or, a bit earlier, Frederic Chopin, if you want. What's with Mick Jagger, who's Lips are even more feminine than Angelina Jolie's ? - Today it's a matter of business at all. If the targent audience=girls likes a certain type, the industry must follow. It's like the success of MacDonald's, where you also can ask why slobby burgers conquered earth and not T-bone steaks;-)
It may have to to with a fear going back deeply until cro-magnon. A weak feminine man is not fearable and seems to be hanndy like a pet. In contrast, a brawny serbian mercenary wouldn't be that great in "understanding a woman", would he ?
Besides, gay men are, seemingly, more addicted to muscles and breast hair. So, feminine looking man doesn't mean gay man.

varms said...

You talk like someone I know... Do I know you?

I know it's a trend and it's not that I don't like it. I love it! :)

Anonymous said...

So, I'm gonna agree with the first two. Especially the first one, mostly because I've had a huge fan girl crush on Jay since SA. I think some people are starting to realize, or at least I have that it's more attractive for a guy to be smart rather than strong. Because if you marry a guy on looks in thirty years when mr. tough guy has a beer belly, mr. Smarty pants will still be running a successful business. That brings me to my second point, smart men are more likely to make money.

As for Justin Beiber? Sorry no. He's a modern day Aaron Carter who will be a has-been in a few short years. Sorry to say it but there holds no future for 16 year old boys who are just now going through puberty and still look like they're 13.

Just my humble opinion. Thought I'd share.