Sunday, April 03, 2011

Flashback: Teen/College Comedies

If you were born in the 80's and grew up without watching any of these teen/college comedy flicks, then you have missed out! Well, you haven't missed much I suppose but these were fun to watch back in the day and still are! I still like 'em better than what passes muster for teen flicks nowadays. *cough*twilight*cough*

Here are my Top 15 teen/college comedies!

1) National Lampoon's Van Wilder (2002)

Van the Man, man about campus and King of Coolidge College. This guy knows all the tricks, all the moves and knows just the right thing to say. And Tara Reid was still hot. Van Wilder, I crown thee Best College Flick ever! Seriously, I wish college was like this.

2) The New Guy (2002)

Where DJ Qualls teaches us there shouldn't be a social hierarchy in high school and an important message about bullies. Bring on the funk.

3) She's All That (1999)

One of the many Freddie Prinze Jr movies that made him drool-worthy and the object of many a girl's teenage fantasies. Is popularity really what it's made out to be be?

4) Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion (1997)

Awwww, don't we all wish we could one-up all the bitches and jocks from high school ten years later? Nerds rule! Kristen Bell's You Again reminded me of this movie.

5) Dude Where's My Car? (2000)

ASHTON KUTCHER and SEAN WILLIAM SCOTT made it difficult for me to order takeaway from a drive-in with without smirking. And theeeeeeennnnn???????? Ridiculous in extra-terrestrial proportions. A recent similar movie would be The Hangover.

6) The Sweetest Thing (2002)

Just one of the slew of Cameron Diaz comedies that came our way after There's Something About Mary. Not exactly a teen or college flick but it rocked all the same! I love it when they sing a song in a movie, that's what makes them so epic. In this case, it's Aerosmith!

7) Heartbreakers (2001)

You know what, I kinda like Jennifer Love Hewitt as a bimbo. She has never been funnier! Hats off to Sigourney Weaver as her con-artist mum and Ray Liotta for that LOL fish-shooting scene on the yacht.

8) Eurotrip (2004)

Made college more fun. And the name, Scotty, a household name in college dorms all over the world. FIOOONAAA!!

9) Clueless (1995)

Did anyone else for Paul Rudd's eyes in this one? So deceiving (like Jared Leto's in Urban Legend). One of the best coming-of-age films out there and a classic. Also increased usage of the term, sporadically.

10) Bubble Boy (2001)

Nothing can ever make me see Jake Gyllenhaal as a stud after watching this movie. Not even his 6-pack in Prince of Persia. Nuh-uh. Endearingly offbeat and fun with it's own lessons to be learnt, this goes down in my Hall of Fame for all time favorite movies.

11) Josie & the Pussycats (2001)

More Tara Reid hotness! And I loved all the songs that came out of this movie like Pretend to Be Nice, 3 Small Words and You Don't See Me. Gotta rewatch this one!

12) Princess Diaries (2001)

Which girl did not feel a connection with this movie? Of being invisible, awkward and unattractive as a teenager. Anne Hathaway's breakout role. And who knew M&M's on a keyboard could be so adorable?

13) 10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

An ode to Heath Ledger. Whenever I miss him, I just rewatch him charming the pants off Julia Stiles with his very bad karaoke of Can't Take My Eyes of You in the sports field stands.

14) Mean Girls (2004)

Lindsay Lohan and Rachel McAdams shot to popularity with this movie that likens high schools kids with the wild animals of Africa. High school can be cruel to an outsider when you don't fall in the right stereotype. I can't count the number of times I've watched this one! :D

15) White Chicks (2004)

Truth be told, I never caught the bug about this movie but even though I didn't like it much, I could recite from it because it seemed the whole class could too. Like "oopsie, I had an oopsie!" and "you little chocolate man!". So in terms of pop culture references, this one could take the cake. Plus I will never be able to listen to "A Thousand Miles" the same way again.


Originally this was supposed to be a very short list but it gradually got longer as I thought, "I just HAVE to add this!" whenever a much-loved flick came to mind. I suspect there are more but this is what I can think of at the moment from the top of my mind.

I would add Easy A to the list especially since I really enjoyed that one but it's too new!

If you have any other additions, feel free to tell me in the comments!

No comments: